- Ensures U5 equipment is ordered for the season (balls, some spare shinguards, kid zone stickers) [3-6 months before first game]
- Reserves facility and a coach instructor for the U5 Parent season kickoff meeting [3-6 months before first game]
- Works with division coordinator to order the right number of royal blue uniforms (all kids get same color uniform)
- Contacts U5 parents whose kids are still pre-registered to encourage them to finish registering [2-3 weeks before first game]
- Contacts all U5 parents to remind them to attend the season kick off meeting - it is good to set up an evite for this [2-3 weeks before first game]
- Meets with U5 Staff (Master Coach, Division Coordinator, and Assistant U5 Program Managers) to ensure everyone knows what is expected in the U5 Program -- particularly that both kids and parents are involved at every session. [2-3 weeks before first game]
- Along with a coach instructor, runs the U5 Parent season kickoff meeting. [1-10 days before first game]
- Assists U5 Master Coach during every U5 session.
- Answers parent questions
- Serves as a great positive role model
- Recruits game supervisors and/or supervises other volunteers that are helping and gives each supervisor a whistle to keep
- Splits kids/parents into roughly equal teams for 3v3 games and distributes pinnies as needed
- Brings U5 equipment to each session
- Extra shinguards (sold for $5 each), extra balls (sold for $10 each), pinnies, first aid, ball pumps, stamps, etc.
- Retrieves pinnies from all players after game
- Helps and/or supervises field set up and take down including the U5 banners.
- Ensures goals & shed & porta-potty are locked if U5 is last on the field after the U6 program.
- Emails important information to all U5 Parents or others as needed, like forwarding the weeks lesson plan to all parents each week.
- Helps parents and the U5 Master Coach as needed with the
administrative work for the team (snack scheduling, picture day info/envelopes, sweatshirt ordering, picture pickup). This
frees the U5 Master Coach to focus on the kids.
- After running the program for a few seasons/years, trains their replacement(s) to take over in future seasons.
Our region gives size 3 AYSO soccer balls to each U5 player. It is also nice to have stamps or some fun thing to give to kids at each session. Two special PLAYSOCCER banners are used as the shared team banner for all the U5 groups at their activity session and for picture day
Time commitment is approximately 36 hours total for a season:
- 10 hours of prep during the 2 months prior to the season including:
- 1 hour to meet with the Master Coach and other U5 Program Managers
- 3 hours to prepare and lead the parent team meeting approximately 2 weeks before games start
- 6 hours to make sure the right number of uniforms, balls, whistles, shinguards, etc are ordered. Also coordination with the Coach Admin, U5 Coordinator, and the rest of the Board in general to make sure everything is set up correctly to support the U5 program.
- 2.5 hours for each of the 8 activity session
- 0.5 hours sending emails to parents each week
- 2 hours to attend the post season team picnic/potluck and thank players and parents for working well together
- U5 Division Coordinator privileges in WebYouthSoccer.
2012 & 2013 U5 Program Managers